Paul A. Magnuson
Judge Magnuson is a product of a one-room country school in South Dakota. He received his B.A. from Gustavus Adolphus College (1959), and his J.D. from William Mitchell College of Law (1963), a night law school he attended while employed.
Judge Magnuson was in private practice from 1963-1981 with the law firm of LeVander, Gillen, Miller and Magnuson in South St. Paul, Minnesota, concentrating on eminent domain and municipal law.
Judge Magnuson was appointed in 1981 by President Reagan to the United States District Court with chambers in St. Paul, Minnesota where he continues to serve. He has served in a number of administrative capacities, including: Chief Judge of the District; Chair and member of the Committee on Administration of the Bankruptcy System; Chair and member of the Committee on International Judicial Relations; and member of the Committee on Inter-Circuit Assignments. He has also served on the Eighth Circuit Judicial Council, the Federal Judicial Center District Judges’ Education Committee, and the Eighth Circuit Judicial Education Committee. He has also held numerous national offices in the Federal Judges Association.
Judge Magnuson is a forerunner in the international legal community by encouraging the establishment and maintenance of independent, impartial, ethical judiciaries under the rule of law primarily to new emerging democracies in Eastern Europe, Central Asia and Africa. Judge Magnuson has traveled to over 45 countries where he has related to thousands of judges and court administrators on judicial ethics, court and case management, court administration and computerization.
Judge Magnuson serves the local and national community through pro bono activities and service on various nonprofit boards.
Judge Magnuson and his wife Elaine enjoy entertaining and international travel.